The Shire of Shark Bay is responsible for controlling land use and the design and positioning of all buildings. It is also responsible for ensuring building plans comply with the operative Town Planning Scheme, the Residential Design Codes, the Shire's Policies and the Building Code of Australia. Therefore, it is usually necessary to obtain two or more different approvals from the Shire, before commencing any development. Applying for Planning Approval is Step 1 of the process.

It is important to note that planning approval may be required not only for new construction but also for a change in land use or establishing a new land use on a property. 

Should you have any queries regarding planning approvals and requirements, please contact the Shire's Consultant Planning Officer, Liz Bushby, at Town Planning Innovations by email or call 0488 910 869 (Tuesday-Friday).

How to Apply for Planning Approval

Planning Application Forms can be downloaded from our website, or obtained from the Shire Administration Office.

All relevant plans must accompany application forms and planning fees must be paid at time of application. 

Delays may occur if your application is incomplete, or more information is needed to accurately assess your application.

Applications can be submitted via post to Shire of Shark Bay, PO Box 106, Denham WA 6537, emailed to or in person at the Shire Administration office located at 65 Knight Terrace, Denham.

Planning Approval Application Forms

Planning Approval Application - Envelope Front Cover

Planning Application Form

Planning Approval Application - Checklist

Planning Approval Application - Lodging An Application Information Sheet (Includes Fees & Charges)