Fences and Retaining Walls

Retaining Walls

Due to the natural topography within Denham townsite, the use of retaining walls can be a necessity for building, to address moderate slopes or differences in levels on site.

Building large retaining walls on the boundaries of lots can cause negative visual impact on neighbours, and may not be the best design response to natural landform.

For residential development, most retaining walls require planning approval and a building permit. Retaining walls are assessed in accordance with the Residential Design Codes and the Building Code of Australia.

If you require approval for retaining walls, you will need to lodge detailed plans to the Shire showing existing natural ground levels, proposed ground levels (excavation/fill) and retaining wall heights in Australian Height Datum (AHD). You may need to engage a licensed surveyor to provide the existing ground levels.

Engineering certification of the retaining walls may be required at planning application or building application stage.

If you propose any retaining walls on a vacant lot or as part of building site works, please contact the Shire's Consultant Planning Officer, Liz Bushby, at Town Planning Innovations by email liz@tpiplanning.com.au or call 0488 910 869 (Tuesday-Friday).

Front Fences

For further information on your property's front fence, please refer to this information sheet. 

Dividing Fences

The Dividing Fences Act 1961 (the Act) combines with local government by-laws to regulate the erection and maintenance of dividing fences in Western Australia.  The Act provides a process for sharing costs between neighbours, the determination of boundaries and a mechanism for courts to deal with disputes over dividing fences.  It does not apply to retaining walls, fence height restrictions or encroachments.

Detailed information regarding dividing fences, as well as a downloadable guide, is available from the Department of Mines, Industry, Regulation and Safety website.